10 Signs You Have a Bad BossDo you frequently find yourself avoiding meeting your boss or manager in the hallway or having your palms sweat when you have a scheduled meeting with him? It probably isn’t comforting to you to know, but over 70% people claim that they have the worst boss ever. Being a bad boss is obviously not that uncommon thing, and it appears to be very easy since many managers achieve that title.
What are some characteristics of a bad boss?
• Your boss wants to micro-manager everything! Often times managers tend to interpret the phrase “Leading by example” in the wrong way, and decide to micro-manage and do everything on their own.
• He fails to admit his own mistakes. Like any other person, managers and bosses occasionally make mistakes. Failing to take responsibility for actions that led to a mistake or an error is one of the bad boss traits.
• He brings you down and ruins your self-esteem. Have you ever caught yourself giving your best at what you do and not being appreciated by your manager? If he is constantly putting you down and lowering your work self-esteem, that is a clear sign of having a bad boss.
• Your boss fails to motivate employees. Being the leader of a team or of the whole company, it is up to the manager to keep his employees motivated. When the time comes that the work environment becomes a bit stressful, as it happens from time to time, it is up to the boss to properly motivate his team so that they could overcome all the difficulties and achieve the best possible results.
• Is your feedback being constantly ignored? What frequently happens is that a boss simply ignores the feedback provided by his employees not even wanting to listen when they express various opinions, especially the ones not matching his own ideas.
• He thinks he knows everything. He doesn’t allow anyone to contradict him, always argues to prove himself right, even when that’s not the case and it always has to be his way or the highway.
• Does he inspire you to do perform your job better? A good leader knows how to inspire his team with his own example and ideas. He motivates his team properly and spreads a positive spirit.
• He freaks out and bursts into anger when under stress. A perfect boss needs to keep himself together and be calm at all times. The team should never see their leader freaking out or bursting into anger because he is under stress. A good boss must keep himself cool!
• He prefers being liked from being a good leader. Achieving a status of a good and well respected manager is hard while being liked by employees is quite easy. All one needs to do is to always take their side, accept all excuses for mistakes and have fun all the time. What about the team’s productivity and success?
• He lacks faith in his team and he rarely delegates. If a leader never delegates any tasks of higher importance to others and lacks faith into his employees, then that clearly makes him a bad boss. Delegating tasks to team members and supervising them throughout is what makes a distinction between a good and a bad manager.
Obviously, being a good boss is not that easy. Even though anyone can fall into any of the previously mentioned traps, acknowledging the made mistakes and showing willingness to improve is the game changer. Leaving the current job and going into a search for a new job is the last thing one would want in this unstable economy. But knowing when to draw the line and realize that there is no other solution is actually the key.