It’s not a novelty any more to see women occupying high corporate positions; however, if we take a look at what statistics have to say on this, it can be concluded that only 5% of privileged positions are held by women.
Here is a collection of tips and guidelines offered by best women managers around the globe:
• Choose your associates carefully – if in a position to choose, always work with competent people and do not feel jeopardized if they are more experienced or competent than you. Make the most of their talents and learn from them. Present your advantages and talents, but at the same time, be ready to respect the ones possessed by others.
• Be polite – try to show respectfulness and politeness at all times and be careful how you treat your subordinates and people, in general. Such behavior is not just part of workplace etiquette but is expected in any kind of interpersonal relationships.
• Motivate your team – your team is your most valuable asset. Once you have set the expectations and goals, give your team members freedom to express themselves and their creativity. As a reward, they will help you achieve great results.
• Be persistent and believe in yourself – setbacks are normal and they are human. As there will always be obstacles in your business and personal life, do not let them get you down. On the contrary, let them make you even stronger.
• Be yourself – do not accept the preconception that women should be warm or sweet by default. Always be who you are and not who you are expected to be. After all, acting is not a good choice in the long run.
People do sometimes have split opinions on women as managers but we must admit that without these women, our world would not look the way it does. They made our lives easier and more comfortable.
Take this quiz and check your general knowledge about women’s contribution to the mankind:
1. In 1919, this lady invented the gas heating furnace. It can be said that without her invention, we wouldn’t have central heating.
2. This lady invented a home surveillance device in 1969 and her invention represents the forerunner to the modern surveillance systems.
3. She was a US Navy Admiral who invented COBOL, the first user-friendly business computer software program and the person who popularized the word ‘bug’ for a computer glitch after she had found an actual moth in her computer.
4. She was a mechanical engineer who invented the first car heater in 1893.
5. She was not only a world-class beauty and a Hollywood actress but also one of the pioneers in the field of wireless communications.
6. Not wanting her servants to chip her fine china any more, this lady rolled up her sleeves and invented the first reliable dishwasher in 1887.
7. She was a physicist who invented the first solar-powered heating system.
8. She may have not been the first person who actually invented a refrigerator but she was certainly the one who modernized it and made the first fridge model that used electricity.
Correct answers: 0
Incorrect answers: 0
Not answered: 0