Whatever reason got you into working with your spouse, you may have already discovered that there are both pros and cons of doing so. While this could potentially be the best experience in your life, it may also ruin your marriage, due to unforeseen side effects.
Here are a few tips that may help you preserve your marriage happiness and keep a healthy business relationship with your spouse.
1. Be respectful to each other. Even though this should already be the case, especially when it comes to your personal relationship with your spouse, it can’t hurt to repeat this one more time. This may sound a bit silly but do not shy away from adding “Please” to each of your work requests directed to your spouse in the working environment, or saying “Thank you” once some important part of the work has been completed or an important report has been filed.
2. Physical distance may be important. To what extent this claim could be accurate actually depends on the personalities you both have. Ideally, each partner should have some time to spend with his or her thoughts and some personal space. So, even if you both work from home, maintaining separate work rooms should be a great idea.
3. Don’t take your work home and vice versa. It is essential to keep your work life separate from your personal relationship with your spouse. Although that line may occasionally become blurry, it is important to make an effort to maintain those two things as separate as possible. If your spouse forgot to file a report within the deadline, do not keep a cold relationship at home over that. The same goes in the opposite case. If your spouse forgot to vacuum the living room, there’s no reason to ignore him or her that whole day at work.
4. Maintain separate work roles. Generally speaking, each individual is talented for a different aspect of business. With that being said, it is probably a wise idea to handle different work duties on multiple levels. Crossing paths and duties with your spouse too frequently may lead into all kinds of conflicts, so maintaining a different role from him or her may be an excellent idea for all spouses working together.
5. Trust is an important factor. In both your marriage and work relationship with your spouse, trust plays an extremely important role. If you just don’t have enough faith in your spouse that he or she will complete a certain task properly and on time, then you risk ruining your personal relationship with your spouse as well. Hence, maintaining the trust bar level high is a very important task.
6. Marriage should be the priority at all times. When the lines between your work life and personal life start blurring too much, or when one of the partners starts feeling stressed because of the whole situation, you must have a clear picture about your priority. That should definitely be your marriage. If working with your spouse is just not working out properly, you should both consider ways to solve that problem and, if needed, one of you should be ready for a career change.